This guide will be used to configure your access to your email using Mozilla Thunderbird and the new Mathematics Mail Server.
You will be utilizing your Novell password to access this account. If you have not done so already you will need to set your Novell Password through password.sas.rutgers.edu. If you have already set your Novell Password you may skip to Step 5.
1. First, we need to set your new Novell Password to ensure security and proper usage. Start by following this link (password.sas.rutgers.edu).
2. In the dropdown menu select NetID Username and Password
3. Type your NetID into the field labeled “Username” and your NetID password in the field labeled “Password” and then press Login
4. You will then be asked to please enter and confirm your new Novell Password. Do this following the Password Requirements on the page and then press Change Password. If the change was successful you will get a message that states “Your Novell password has been changed” and you may proceed with the rest of the Mozilla Thunderbird setup.
5. At the home screen of Mozilla Thunderbird press on 3-line Menu Button in the top right of the screen. Under this menu hover over “Options”, click on Account Settings.
6. Click on Account Actions and then Add Mail Account…
7. In the field titled “Your name:” type in the name that you wish people to see when you send them a message.
8. In the field titled “Email address:” type your full email address (this format will be “username”@math.rutgers.edu).
9. In the field titled “Password:” type your new Novell password. Press the Continue button in the bottom right of this window.
10. Press the Manual Config button in the bottom left hand side of this screen.
Thunderbird auto-fill settings. These settings will need to be adjusted. See step 11 for configuration.
11. Refer to the image below to fill in the proper configuration information. You will need to prepend both the Incoming (change to “imap.math.rutgers.edu”) and Outgoing (change to “smtp.math.rutgers.edu”) Server hostnames as well as the SSL (change to STARTTLS) and Authentication (change to Normal password) drop downs. Once this information is changed press Done.
12. You have successfully set up your connection to the new Math Mail Server for use with Mozilla Thunderbird. If you have had any problems with this guide please submit a workorder specifying your difficulties to sasit.rutgers.edu/submit-a-workorder.