Platform: Windows XP/Windows 2000
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate
The following procedure describes how to install the Novell Client software on computers running Windows XP or Windows 2000. This software allows PCs to access file, print, and application services on SAS Novell Servers.
- One of the following operating systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP. Mac instructions on the Logging in to Novell from Mac OS page.
- A valid username and account for an SAS Novell server
- The correct Novell tree, context, and server for your department. If you don’t know these, contact your department’s Unit Computing Manager or SAS IT Services. Douglass department instructions on the Douglass Campus Information for SAS Technicians page..
- Knowledge of your local username and password
- For on-campus computers, an Ethernet or wireless connection to the Internet
- For off-campus computers, a high-speed Internet connection (DSL or cable modem).
- Off-campus users must also download and install the Cisco VPN Client. Please refer to instructions on the Rutgers OIT website (Link opens in new window).
Off-campus users: If you only need access to your Novell drives, consider using NetDrive instead.
Instructions: Connecting to your Novell Drives via NetDrive
Installing the Novell Client
- Click the link below to download the Novell Client installation software: Novell Client 4.91 SP5 for Win2k/XP (auto-installer)
- When asked “Would you like to open the file or save it to your computer?” click “Save.”
- In the “Enter name of file to save to…” (Windows XP) window, browse to “Desktop” and click “Save.”
- When the file download is 100% complete, click “Close” on the file download window.
- Close your browser and go to the desktop.
- Double-click on the file named "nw491sp5.exe".
- At the "Open File - Security Warning" window, click "Run."
- A "WinRAR self-extracting archive" window will appear. and automtically extract the installation files to your computer.
- A "Novell Update" window will appear, saying: "Novell client upgrade in progress. Please DO NOT INTERRUPT. Reboot should occur when process is complete."
- Click the "OK" button.
- Your computer will reboot automatically after the Novell software is installed.
Logging on, on-campus:
Log in to Novell. Instructions for logging in are on the Using SAS Novell Servers page.
When the process is complete, delete the file "nw491sp5.exe" from your desktop.
Logging on, off-campus:
The following steps are required if you need full access to Novell file, print, and application services from off-campus.
Download and install the Cisco VPN Client following instructions on the Rutgers OIT website (Link opens in new window).
After both Novell and the Cisco VPN Client are installed, click “Workstation Only” at the Novell login screen and login using your local Windows username and password.
Right-click the red “N” icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
Select “Novell Client Properties” from the menu that appears.
In the “Novell Client Configuration” window, click the “Service Location” tab.
Under “Directory Agent List,” enter “slp.fas.rutgers.edu” and click “Add.”
Check the box for “Static.” Then click “OK” to exit the window.
When prompted, click “Yes” to reboot the computer.
After you reboot, the “Novell Login” window will reappear.
Select “Workstation Only” and log in using your local Windows XP username.
Log on to the Rutgers VPN following instructions on the Rutgers OIT website (Link opens in new window).
Return to the Novell Login screen by right-clicking the red “N” in your taskbar, then selecting “NetWare Login” from the menu.
Click the “Advanced” button. Enter your username, password, and the correct values for “Tree,” “Context” and “Server” in the appropriate boxes. Instructions for logging in are on the Using SAS Novell Servers page.
Then, click “OK” to log in.
When the process is complete, delete the file "nw49sp2-auto.exe" from your desktop.
- For future off-campus login sessions, repeat steps 9 through 14.
If you have any problems following these directions, please submit a work order.